V-EDGE™ leading edge self-retracting lifeline:
- Simplified selection: Use in a variety of applications from overhead to horizontal tie-off points and where sharp edges are a concern.
- Get to work faster: Clear outer casing allows for quick visual inspection of internal components
- Lower cost of ownership: Integrated roll cage protects housing when used in foot-level tie-off. The retraction dampening feature controls the lifeline speed. This prevents damage and maximizes the product life.
- Less downtime: Internal components like the cable and energy absorber can be replaced on-site to save money and reduce repair times.
Explaining leading edge:
- Leading-edge application: Any type of at-height work in which a fall potential exists over an edge. Leading-edge applications most often happen when tie-off is at foot level or sometimes overhead.
- Foot-level tie off: When workers are tied off or using an anchor point at their feet.
- SRL-LE, horizontal SRL-LE: Interchangeable terms for leading-edge self-retracting lifeline. Must include an integral energy absorber element next to the worker.
- SRL, overhead SRL: Interchangeable terms for traditional self-retracting lifelines used in applications other than leading edge. While all SRLs are rated to ANSI Z359.14 for overhead use, only a subset of these are leading edge SRLs.
Testing and approvals:
The American National Standards Institute — ANSI Z359 Fall Protection Committee says for an SRL to be labelled ‘LE’ by ANSI, it must:
- be tested on a steel edge with a radius of 0.127 mm, and
- meet certain requirements for dynamic performance, dynamic strength and static strength.
Is an overhead SRL or SRL-LE better?
Overhead SRLs are ideal for: At-height work where there is no risk for the lifeline to come in contact with an edge in a fall event. For example, climbing rebar or confined space entry.
SRL-LE is a must for: Leading edge and/or sharp edge applications. These jobs are found in many industries but common examples include steel erection and deck laying.
Remember: A leading-edge SRL can cover many applications and tie-off points. A traditional SRL may have some limitations in these areas.
To learn more about self-retracting lifelines Download The Safety Manager’s Guide to LEADING EDGE SELF-RETRACTING LIFELINES.
About MSA Safety:
The global leader in the development, manufacture and supply of safety products that protect people and facility infrastructures.
Our mission is to see to it that men and women may work in safety and that they, their families and their communities may live in health throughout the world.
Shop for more MSA products:
Levitt-Safety is a proud distributor of MSA safety products for construction, fire service, mining, oil and gas, and utilities. Visit our e-commerce site by clicking ‘Shop now’ below and see our offering of MSA products.