Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) contain general recommendations for the safe storage of hazardous products. These recommendations provide a good starting point for deciding where and how the product should be stored. The storage conditions in your workplace should be based on workplace-specific factors:
- the hazards of the product (health, fire and reactivity),
- the amounts in storage,
- types of containment (bulk or smaller containers), and
- the way the product is used.
- USE approved containers. Be aware of any special venting requirements (e.g. for flammables, corrosives).
- DO NOT STORE incompatible materials together.
- Dangerous combinations include:
- Acids + Bases
- Flammables + Oxidizers
- Water Reactives + Aqueous Solutions
- DO NOT STORE chemicals in alphabetical order, except within a grouping of compatible chemicals.
- DO NOT STORE materials in a fumehood unless the hood is dedicated to that purpose.
- DO NOT STORE chemicals in a domestic refrigerator or freezer.
If you need help selecting the right chemical storage solution for your workplace, get in touch with us today.