Canada is home to a thriving sector of mining industries that continue to grow and prosper year after year. And, with our large and diverse sector of surface and underground mining, we’re continually faced with unique safety hazards and new challenges. Each sector of mining in Canada is home to many types of hazards – chemical, ergonomic, physical and psychosocial, to name a few – which can cause harm or adverse effects in the workplace. Identification, risk assessment and inspections help keep your workplace healthy and safe.
Common Hazards in the Mining Industry:
Fire and explosions
- The practices and equipment used to mine almost any ore create or expose workers to many fire hazards.
- Without proper protective devices, systems or plans in place, massive losses to people, assets or infrastructure and environmental damages can add up quickly.
- From early warning and automatic detection to suppression systems and manual firefighting equipment, taking the right steps to be prepared is crucial.
Working at heights and in confined spaces
- Mines and process plants require equipment and infrastructure for extreme working conditions.
- The mining industry commonly includes elements of working at heights with scaffolding or on temporary or permanent work platforms.
- Having the right solutions to first mitigate risks is paramount.
- Mining exposes workers to many different hazards that are naturally occurring but get disturbed during excavating practices.
- Huge risks to workers can be as simple as the small particles of dust that are spread through the air from blasting, crushing and vehicle movement which can cause long-term effects like silicosis.
- Ensuring that there is sufficient levels of oxygen and no poisonous gases present is essential.
Chemical and acids exposures
Occupational disease arising from noise
With Levitt-Safety, you can find the best vehicle fire suppression, extinguisher, alarm and sprinkler systems, clean agent and engineered special-hazard protection, foam and deluge systems, working platforms, davit arms, fall protection and gas/environmental monitoring solutions to keep workers safe. We’ve partnered with leading vendors like Ansul, Kidde, Stat-X, Magnum, LOBO, VRS, 3M, MSA, Honeywell, Accufitt, Sibata and Gastec to bring the most innovative and cost-effective solutions to Canadian mining.
Levitt-Safety is positioned uniquely to service almost everything we sell from our local branches. By having service branches strategically located across the country, we minimize turnaround and downtime of equipment. Levitt-Safety has technicians that are able to come to your site and provide certifications and inspections of your safety and fire protective gear without every taking your equipment off-site. Other more sensitive equipment may have to be shipped into one of our branches for calibrations but be rest assured that almost all of our servicing can be done within Canada. These services include:
- Fire equipment technicians, VFSS, Extinguisher, CFAA, Red Seal Sprinkler and pipe fitters
- Respiratory fit testing
- Calibration and recertification of:
- Fire protection and alarm systems
Levitt-Safety can also provide on-site safety training. We can deliver industry standard programs or custom solutions including train the trainer course where available, including:
Vehicle Fire Suppression Systems
Fire & Life Safety Services
5 Tools Anyone in Mining Should Understand