Common Hazards in the Dental Industry:
Hazards in the dental industry can generally be divided into four primary categories:
- Hazardous Agents: This includes biological agents, chemical agents, disinfectants, antibiotics, waste anesthetic gases and hazardous waste.
- Ergonomic Hazards: This includes strained posture at work which can disturb the musculoskeletal alignment. There is also risk from repetitive motion, sitting for long periods of time and eye strain. These can all result in overexertion, which is the number one cause of injury and illness in health services.
- Physical Hazards: These hazards are the result of exposure to toxic, reactive, corrosive or flammable compressed gases and chemicals. It can also include extreme temperatures that may cause burns or heat stress, respiratory disorders, mechanical hazards that may cause cuts, punctures or abrasions, electrical hazards, radiation, noise, dust, violence and slips and falls.
- Psychological Hazards: Stress is the leading psychological condition that occurs in the dental profession according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information. Stress is caused by big work loads, long hours, and difficult patients.
To prevent injury and illness in the dental industry, it is essential to be aware of potential health hazards and take necessary precautions to eliminate or control exposure.
Learn more about respiratory protection for dental professionals:
Watch our dental professional webinar now
Levitt-Safety offers many products to keep workers in the dental industry safe. This includes quality respiratory protection, personal protective equipment, hazardous material storage and environmental monitoring solutions.
Watch our dental professional webinar on N95s and respirator fit testing to learn more.
We partner with leading manufacturers like 3M, Honeywell, Particles Plus, Sibata and ChemDAQ to provide innovative and cost-effective solutions.
Discover our full product offering.
Our dedicated service team is available to ensure that your equipment is in proper working order. We also offer services including:
- Respirator fit testing
- Rental equipment for air quality, air sampling and sound level meters
- Consulting options for risk assessments and safety program reviews
Training can be provided on all products and services we support including respirator fit testing, indoor air quality and environmental monitoring equipment, fire extinguisher use and confined space entry.
We also offer a variety of online training courses including:
- Respiratory protection
- Hand hygiene for healthcare
- Workplace violence awareness for health care services
Looking for something else?
Levitt-Safety has locations across Canada and our highly specialized staff are ready to help.
If you’re looking for help or recommendations, contact us today!