The chemical industry is one of Canada’s fastest growing segments – in 2016 alone, it saw shipments worth over $53 billion. You can track nearly every manufactured good back to the chemical industry; for every one job in the chemical sector, it fuels five jobs everywhere else in the Canadian economy. If you’re employed in any of the following jobs, you’re likely part of the chemical industry:
- Chemical production
- Oil and gas
- Pulp and paper
- Laboratory work
- Chemical transport
- General manufacturing
The chemical industry is unlike any other in Canada, which also extends to its hazards and risks. Chemical splash incidents are rare, but they’re often traumatic, life-altering events. To put this into perspective, chemical injuries to the skin or eyes only represent a fraction of all recordable injuries, but they are responsible for approximately 30 per cent of all burn-related deaths.
Levitt-Safety understands chemical hazards and provides a number of solutions for chemical decontamination, spill control, personal protective equipment and chemical detection.
Common Hazards in the Chemical Industry:
- Chemical splashes and spills
- According to a National Safety Council study from 2011, 54.5 per cent of eye injuries are caused by chemical burns.
- From 2005 to 2014, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) recorded 16,207 chemical-related lost-time injuries (LTIs) from exposure to caustic, noxious or allergenic substances.
- Chemical burns account for only a fraction of the reported cutaneous and ocular injuries however they are responsible for nearly 30 per cent of all burn-related deaths.
We offer numerous products that offer solutions to the hazards found in the chemical industry. Levitt-Safety offers the best chemical suits, emergency showers and eyewash stations, chemical storage and spill control products on the market to protect against chemical splashes and spills. We’ve partnered with leading vendors like DuPont, Haws Integrated and Brady to bring the most innovative and cost-effective solutions to keep workers in the chemical industry safe and compliant at all times.
Levitt-Safety offers a wide range of services to ensure that all of your chemical PPE and equipment is up-to-code and ready to work in the case of an emergency. Some of our most popular services for the chemical sector include:
- Emergency shower and eyewash equipment audits
- Gas monitor repair and calibration
- Respirator fit testing
- Chemical suit testing and repairs
- SCBA flow testing
- Hand protection audits
- Fire extinguisher recharge and testing
- Fall protection inspection and recertification
- Custom-logoed PPE
Levitt-Safety can also provide online and in-person safety training for those who work in the chemical industry. We offer the following courses: